Some of you have asked how the dogs are getting along with the baby. We’re happy to report that they seem to have adjusted just fine.
Mr Willis just ignores Parker most of the time...

Mr Willis just ignores Parker most of the time...
But mostly the only time he’s interested is when we're sitting down holding the baby. That’s because Willis is an overgrown lap dog and he tries to weasel his way in alongside Parker.
Here is a classic example...
But he approaches Parker very calmly. We don’t let him lick the baby (no small feat with Wu Dog).
Roxy is more of a high-strung alpha girl but happily, she has adjusted well to the new baby. Then again, as wild as she can be with adults and other dogs she has always had a careful way around children. She really has a maternal instinct. In fact, she has changed some just since Parker came home. She doesn’t want to leave whatever room he is in. It used to be so easy to get her to follow you with the words “want to go outside?” or “want to go for a ride?” but now she just stands beside the baby and stares at you like she has not idea what you are talking about.
And she approaches him even more carefully than Willis does. It’s really cute and we’re glad it’s working out.
I don’t know what advice to give anyone in a similar situation but I did come home the day after Parker was born with one of his hospital swaddling blankets and introduced it to the dogs. I sat down with the blanket as if it were a baby and let them come up and sniff it carefully. I gave a stern “No” if they tried to paw it but I just tried to get them used to it. This was recommended in a book we read and maybe it has helped.
Really the only thing we worry about is their paws. You just have to be careful not to leave the baby in a position where a dog can step or jump on it. Roxy not so much but Mr Willis is a jump first - ask questions later kind of dog, a fact to which his Granddaddy Moody can attest.
4 comments:
Thanks Brent! I hope my dog is as good as yours when we bring our baby home. She's very gentle with us, but she gets so excited when other people come over (and she loves to give kisses!). I think the baby blanket is a great idea!
Hope you guys are doing great! We miss you both and are looking forward to finally meeting Parker some day
Oh, he is such a handsome guy. The dogs look good too, but not as precious our little man..
Grandmother Moody
I do love that little fellow. I can't hardly wait to see him.
Grandmother Moody
know you cant wait until christmas. its so exciting at this time with a new baby. love faye reynolds
Post a Comment